- Install skylights in our odd dropped ceiling. It is in our dining/dan's desk area of our living/dining room space. It looks like a school ceiling, complete with eerie florescent tube lights. It needs some updating.
- Install solar panels on our garage roof after re-roofing it.
- Replace our carpet which seems to be taken out of a "My Name is Earl" episode when they have the flashbacks to growing up in their parents' house in the 70s.
- Remove the ugly kitchen wallpaper.
- Replace the tile counter top and maybe even the whole super low kitchen island.
- Paint! So far we have only painted my office (orange), Will/Alex's room (green), and recently, the guest bathroom (sky blue). Everything else is icky white.
- Mount TVs on the wall.
- Hang Pictures.
- Organize Kids' room. We have some toy bins ordered. We anticipate them working better than the dumpable toy boxes and drawers they use now.
- Get some sort of playground surface for under the merry-go-round. Right now we have those connectible work mats. They help to protect the kids from scraping their knees when they fall down, but it would be great to have something that doesn't blow apart in the wind.
Saturday, May 30, 2009
As the children can now play for a few minutes by themselves, Dan and I have started on the 'home improvement project. What do we have in mind? We would like to do some of these things:
Right now, it is picture time. I was thinking about buying some sort of artwork.
We wanted to start with the bathroom since we just painted it. But then, I thought, why not just print out some of our travel pictures and put those up. So last week at IKEA, we bought a picture frame to try out. We sent some pictures to Costco.com to print to 20" by 30" size. We bought more IKEA frames. And now, we have 4 large framed pictures with which to decorate our walls. Yea!
Here are some pictures of the framed pictures.
Snowy Tokyo Park Scenes
California Wave and Kauai Lighthouse
Yes, they look much cooler in person. We are thinking about putting a set in our guest bathroom and are not sure what we will be doing with the other set. We have many blank walls, so I think we will come up with something.
So then, I got to thinking, in the grand scheme of organizing the kids room, we will be putting up pictures on their walls too. We have a picture of Katsushika Hokusai's "The Great Wave". We have a glass picture of a fish. But what else to put on the wall? More of the pictures that Dan and I have taken? Nope. Since Will has his own camera, we thought we might try letting him use some of his own pictures to decorate his room. He gets excited about the process of moving the pictures from his camera to his laptop with the USB cable. Then he talks about sending them to the printer. What kind of shots did we end up with for hanging? Here is another IKEA picture frame, but this time filled in with 3 of Will's pictures.
Will's pictures are interesting. What he chooses to photograph and the angle he shoots at just can't be duplicated. Some of Will's other shots include me pouring dishwasher detergent into the dishwasher, pictures of his llama and his puppy posing, and pages of books he likes to read. Then, there is that time he ran into the bedroom when I was getting dressed... we deleted that one immediately.
The Alex picture is funny because whenever Will takes a picture of Alex, it is always blurry. They just can't both stop moving long enough at the same time to get a clear shot. Maybe we will have to try some outside in bright light.
Will actually chose the Alex picture above over another one. He said that Alex was doing something funny and that he also thought the bib was silly.