Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Not on Fire, Soggy Instead

As many of you watch the news and may have realized, Southern California is once again on fire. This is due to the Santa Ana winds which make it extremely dry. As for us, we are safe in our little haven of Redondo Beach. We are only 3 miles from the ocean and, unlike poor Malibu, we don't have hills that cause the fire to go crazy.

It's still dry here, I can tell because my lips are chapped. So where do I get soggy? Well, since Dan and I are lucky home owners, this is a home-related issue. One of our hot water pipes seems to have burst. Fortunately it is only making the yard soggy. Also, when we were wandering around at midnight in our yard on Sunday, trying to figure out why we kept hearing running water, we found the leaky area and turned the hot water off. Our poor yard just can't get a break. If it isn't the gopher digging around, it's the water pipe leaking and eroding away the soil.

What does this mean? One impact is that Will didn't have to take a bath last night. As he has been freaking out about the giant tub and the loss of his small bath tub, he was a bit happy about the lack of bath time. I told him that he didn't have to take a bath. He looked at me in a concerned manner, but didn't fuss as I reiterated, "no bath." Lately when he has been hearing bath, he runs away and protests.

The impact for Dan is that he gets to take icy cold showers in the morning. I think he is crazy. I skipped showering, but then again, it's not like I have to go to the office.

Speaking of the office, I did have an interview last week. It was in Rancho Bernardo, near Poway. Right in the middle of the fire graphic here. I wonder if I will get a call back. I wonder if they have phones. I wonder, should I follow up?

The burst pipe is not the end of the world, there is good news in this. Back when we bought our house, the prior owners provided a 1-year home warranty policy. This means that since it is not November 15th yet, the policy is still in effect. It's a bit slow, but the people are coming out today to check the leaking. If I am lucky, I will have a hot shower this afternoon. If they don't fix it today, I'm going to search out a hot shower elsewhere. What's this? Scot and Tammy's keys to their house while they are out of town? Hmmm...

1 comment:

watterflower said...

yay no burning.

boo no water.